Updated: Nov 15
PREPARATION TIME: 45 MINUTES TOTAL COOKING TIME: 45 MINUTES SERVES: 2 to 4
2 * 650 g creamy brie cheese rinds 300 g thick sliced bacon (chopped 1 cm cubes) 2.5 tablespoon flour 2 cups of milk + 1\2 cup pasta water 1 cup grated parmesan 350 g your choice of pasta (macaroni, radiatori)
1. In a large size pot, bring 4 liters of salted water and cook the pasta according to the package instructions, but take off at least 2 minutes of cooking time.
2. Drain the pasta, reserving 1\2 cup pasta water, rinse with cold water to stop cooking, then drizzle some olive oil to avoid noodles sticking. Set them aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
4. Carefully cut the top of the brie, just underneath the rind. Place the lid (skin side down) into an iron pan or baking tray. Then, use a spoon to scoop out the inside of the brie (as shown in the picture), and set aside for use later. Place the shell (rind) of the brie on top of the lid.
5. Repeat the step 4 for the second brie.
6. In a large size saucepan, add the chopped bacon and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until crispy. Remove only crispy bacon (not fat ) and set a side for using later.
7. Place the flour into the saucepan and start cooking it with the bacon fat about 2 minutes over medium heat. Continuously stirring, add 2 cup of milk and 1\2 cup pasta liquid. When no lumps in the milk sauce add the brie (creamy part, which set a side on the step 4) and parmesan cheese into it. Keep stirring until the all the cheese melted.
8. Pour pasta over the cheese sauce, remove the pan from the heat, toss the pasta and crispy bacon in the sauce until cheese begin to thicken but still creamy.
9. Transfer all the pasta into the brie shells (empty rinds), and bake about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Mac & Cheese with Bacon is ready!